Skip to main content

Hunter x Hunter Greed Adventure Staff Interview








-I've heard that you two got involved in this project of "GI2" from the beginning. How did the project start for you guys?


Kojina: Well, first Bandai Namco Entertainment counseled me with regards to how to create the new world, using the setting of Greed Island. I took part in the core part such as to showcase the world in a different and unique way whilst incorporating the elements of the original story. I've figured out some ideas as to what could be the main concept of the game, the new characters and the background setting. 


--What's the best part of the promotional video which you took part in to create?


K: I think it's the scene where the two characters who never fought in the original story are fighting against each other! When it comes to G.I., I think of the unique "card system". In this G.I.2, a new type of card called "summoning card", was newly introduced into the system. As the name goes, you can summon various characters if you use this card. 


Yoshimatsu: You can see Pakunoda summoned by Nobunaga, fighting in the scene even though she died in the previous chapter of the story. Also the scene where Hisoka summoned Razor. You would never be able to see that in the original manga!




K:I thought fans would find it interesting to see those scenes and it can add some novelty to the game. What's your take on this, Y?


Y: It's been long so it brought back some memories you know? Other guys from the animation staff (HxH 2011) at that time gathered again for this project.


K: Yeah it's been 4 years. Now that some one who used to draw the designs have become an animation director, others have gotten promoted to a higher rank and got very busy. However, there were so many of them willingly to participate in this project despite their busy lives because they also love Hunter x Hunter.


Y: Indeed, it's so true that everyone loves the manga per se. I was super busy as well when I got this offer but my love for Hunter x Hunter made me accept the offer.


K: When allocating the tasks to the animators, things go like, "I'll draw Killua's part! Let me do it" and then I'd go like, "Ok you do it" [laughs]. It was an easy and efficient process because everybody understands what they're doing, how characters act, talk, and move. So without explaining every bit of this and that, everyone did a perfect job, which I must thank them for.




Y: They were so talented and familiar with their job that they lifted so many tasks off of me.


K: I didn't need to interrupt them over the details either. All the staffs were like, war buddies, you know?

Y: That's so true. It was indeed more like a college reunion or something than a project [laughs]


--Can you tell me about the unique character only seen in this game?


K: Her name is Sufika. She journeys along in Greed Island with Gon and Killua. I asked Yoshimatsu to design the character and he hit the nail on the head, so I didn't have any hard times over that!


Y: Glad to hear that! Since Mr. Kojina seemed to have nothing to say about her design, I thought...is he really happy with it or not? [laughs]. Maybe the hardest part of her design was her hairstyle.



K: Every pattern of the hairstyle has been laid out spread in this world of animation.


Y: I drew her hair as her hat at first, but ended up making it her hairstyle. Her bangs are like helmet bangs as if she were wearing a helmet, turning out to look so unique. In addition to that, I mixed bob and twin tale hair and added it to her hairstyle design. Well, some frizz on her rolled hair part was just my last minute idea! [laughs]. 


--Which scene from the anime do you find the most impressive?

K: I would say the episode of the dodgeball match with Hisoka in it is the best! I can't find the right words to describe the part where Gon and Killua cooperated together to shoot the last shot! Also, the battle part against Genthru (The Bomber) is great too. I re-watched the scene and I was like "Wow, this is awesome!" even though I was actually the director of this anime.



The scene still remains strong in my heart because it was very obvious that all the staff were putting so much effort and enthusiasm into the part.


Y: For me, the scene where Genthru and his allies sat in the shadow, holding their knees after they were driven into a corner. It was so strange when they talked in a subdued voice as if talking to themselves, which I somehow liked very much without any specific reason. I was like, these guys are kinda cute, aren't they? [laughs]. It was tough work too when Gon's left arm got blown off during the battle against Genthru.


K: It's surprising that they dared air that scene on TV. My mission as an anime director is indeed to make it as true to the original as possible.


Y: The story would have never proceeded unless Gon's arm got bombed.


K: Yes. So the gory part was just one-cut and we hid it by framing the scene from the right angle. At the time, the anime used to air on Sunday morning, so I payed close attention to the PC way to describe the scene. After the air time shifted to way late at night, I didn't need to care about it all so I did to my hearts content [laughs].

--Any comments for the readers?


K: I really recommend everyone to have a look at the PV where your favorite characters are performing really cool battles. Enjoy the game and find the best combination of characters!


Y: It's been long since the last time I drew for the Hunter x Hunter anime. I'd be glad if you could enjoy it. I'm looking forward to playing the game too after the release! Let's have a blast together, guys!








--How are you involved in this project of the G.I.2 app game?


Mondo: I checked all the lines and quotes from every character and the concept of the game in the editorial meetings as an editor-in-chief!


--Could you tell me your honest impression on this game?


M: I simply thought of this new type of card, summoning card, as a well-thought idea!
Some characters who already died, or who are not supposed to come to Greed island can naturally get involved in the story if they are summoned by these cards, I mean the images of those characters can be naturally reproduced by the card's effect and can exist in the GI2 (Greed Island 2) world. I found this to be a great idea. I imagine it will be very fun that you can activate your Mind force by tapping your monitor. Personally, I want to use Hisoka, my favorite character, when I play this game.





--I understand that the story of G.I.2 is the after story of the original story of Togashi.
What was his reaction like?


M: I asked Togashi to check the draft project proposal because we knew this game would include a lot of things that don't exist in the original story. Togashi writes his story incredibly meticulous but it doesn't mean he is the type of manga artist who dislikes if something that doesn't happen in the original story happens in the spin-offs. He is like if you come up with the new and interesting ideas I've never come up with, I feel like I should go beyond your ideas, you know? He said as well, you can do whatever you want as long as it makes GI2 more interesting and more exciting.


--What's your take on the PV?


M: It was so good to see where Gotoh and Franklin were battling, which is something that doesn't happen in the anime or the original. One of the best parts of games is to create a parallel world. I was so exited to see that part because that battle would have never happened if this had been just a normal animation project. The selling point is clear where users can enjoy dream-matches and I enjoyed this game not so much as an editor but as a fan. 




--Any comments to the readers here?


M: It's been a while since the last time Bandai Namco Entertainment released a HxH game but I know there are so many of you looking forward to the new release. It's so fresh and exciting that you can control your characters by your fingers and that's a new attraction that the first Greed Island game didn't have so why don't you give it a try? I can't wait for the launch!





Let's ask Hirano, who is in charage of the compositions for the app, some questions.

--How did you get involved in this project?

H: I got to know the project by a man telling me that there is the close relationship between the HxH apps and the HxH anime. Painfully aware of how honorable and important it is for me to take part in this project as the main composer of the HxH anime, I was naturally pleased to provide some music for the app.


--About how many songs did you compose?
Also, were there any points you especially paid attention to?

H: Well I was requested to do 7 or 8 songs, an opening song and a couple of background music. As for the elemental points of the composition, I followed the basis of the world of the HxH anime. That's the key point. However, at the same time, it shouldn't go too far. It should naturally and uniquely coexist in the world of HxH apps.


--The song you made was played in the PV as well, wasn't it? What's your overall take on the PV?

H: It brought back some memories when I was making some songs for the anime. At the right moment, I also keenly felt happiness towards the new birth of another HxH world.


--What points were you especially conscious of when you were composing the songs?

H: HxH is the story with the succession of going in and out of the reason and the craziness. You should consider keeping the balance of the bipolarity nicely. Sometimes, you should put more weight on the reason but at other times more weight on the craziness. I found the utmost happiness when I finished making the orchestra song where the bursts of the images of the craziness went around everywhere.




--Greed Island was the stage of the game world, but did you notice the game elements consciously in terms of music?

H: I wasn't especially conscious of that sort of point but I kept in mind and focused on the human story, the drama and depicted the image of characters in the music.

--Any comments to the readers here?

Please enjoy the world of Hunter x Hunter where you can taste only with the application. Hunter x Hunter is THE BEST!


Check out the PV here.

This interview was translated by Licorice hater.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

All Yoshihiro Togashi's Author Comments From Shonen Jump (Hunter x Hunter)

Yo! Here are all of Yoshihiro Togashi's author comments from Weekly Shonen Jump for his series, Hunter x Hunter, in Japanese , Chinese , and English ! Enjoy~ ←[1998]→ Shonen Jump Issue 14 (Chapter 1) "初めまして!!憧れのジャンプに連載できて、ドキドキしっ放しの冨樫義博という者です。皆さん、「とがP」あてで手紙くださいね。" 初次见面!!我叫富坚义博,能在憧憬的JUMP上连载,我心情好激动啊。大家,要给“小坚坚”写信哦。 "Nice to meet you all! This is Yoshihiro Togashi and I can't help feeling so excited to have my manga published in Shonen Jump again. Toga P is my nickname, by the way! Everyone, please write to me at "Togashi P"." *Note: Putting P at the end of your name is the common and easy way in Japan to give someone a nickname.* Shonen Jump Issue 15 (Chapter 2) "世の中色々と大変ですねェ。何が大変って引っ越し。送る先が3か所もあると、整理だけでパニック。" 活着真是各种不容易啊。要说什么不容易,搬家不容易。送货地址就有三个,光是整理就慌乱不已。 "This world is full of tough things, you know. What the toughest is, is house-moving.  There were three different addresses to ship packages to so that I was litera

Spy x Family's Tatsuya Endo & Shihei Lin Interview

It was about 13 years ago that Mr. Endo, who started drawing manga at a young age, met his current editor, Mr. Lin. SPY×FAMILY is the third series they've worked on together, and it's now an extremely popular series that has sold over 8 million copies through six volumes. In this interview, we'll be talking to the two members of this tag team. --- Endo's serialization debut was in "JUMP SQ." How did the two of you first meet? Tatsuya Endo : "I met Mr. Lin at the start of "TISTA" (his serial debut work from 2007). I submitted my first work to Jump magazine when I was in my first year of high school and later did in my second year. So Mr. Lin is the third person I've met since then. He was the first person younger than me, and when I first met him, I thought I was getting a light-hearted person (laughs). "TISTA" was set in New York, so we took a trip to NYC for an interview. Mr. Lin had just started his career, so it was like a tr

Ten de Shōwaru Cupid (Ten de Shouwaru Cupid)

Ten de Shouwaru Cupid  (てんで性悪キューピッド) is Yoshihiro Togashi's first manga series published in Weekly Shonen Jump from July 24, 1989 to March 12, 1990 (consisting of 32 chapters) and was also his first manga SERIES (only one shots before) period. Weekly Shonen Jump Issue 32 (July 24, 1989)  *The following is quoted from Wikipedia.* The storyline of Ten de Shōwaru Cupid follows Ryuji Koinobori (鯉昇 竜次), a sweet and introverted 15-year-old who lives with his four stepsisters and their father, the leader of the Koinobori yakuza and  promiscuous playboy by heritage, just like his own father, grandfather, and so on. Ryuji's family has a tendency to make fun of his innocent nature, causing the boy to continuously try to run away from home. After escaping one day, Ryuji witnesses a beautiful girl with a devil tail bathing in a forest pool. Embarrassed, Ryuji returns to his home only to be confronted by girl the following day. As it turns out, this devil girl named Maria was hi